Certified Doula Education Program
Birth is a journey, being a doula, is like being a path-keeper. On the road to birth the woman is taken from womanhood to motherhood. The woman is transformed through birth, her birth, her experience, this will effect her whole life. Honoring and preserving the birth experience is the role of the doula.
Birth Arts International Certified Doula trainers are both trained in the Wise Woman tradition which follows the midwifery model of care, these are also brought into the training program. Some of our trainers are midwives, artisans, authors and all are experts in the field of doula education. These diversity in skills assists us in offering our doula training an edge that is like no other. Birth Arts International (BAI) is the premier international doula training organization. We are training women all over the world, working with aboriginal and native health services, hospitals and birth centers to make birth better and safer for women. Birth Arts International has trained over 20,000, as of 2014, doulas world-wide while keeping the intimate one on one student experience we are known for.
As a Birth Arts International Certified Doula you have the exceptional privilege of sharing the unique birthing journey of each mother and her family. Sharing with the mother her path through pregnancy, birth and the postpartum period, offering guidance and professional support. As a Birth Arts International Certified Doula you know that you will also have the most ground-breaking, intensive education program available. Training to be a doula is a rewarding and amazing process.
We offer the most student support of any organization, we make that paramount to the educational experience. In additional we have offer extensive networking and mentor-ship for our students, that is student based, from the trainers and from the program director. We offer students online and email support groups, phone calls and Skype sessions are all ways we connect you with your education and student body. Birth Arts International Certified Doula Training explores the physical, scientific and spiritual aspects of birth and being a doula. There have never been any hidden fees, certification fees, and no costs for membership or re-certification. Students have an open completion timeline and work at their own pace.
We are unique because when you are done training you will have attained:
- Sustainable business skills and emerging marketing support to assist in professional doula development
- Mentor-ship and student support and all aspects of being a doula
- Information on running a successful practice and development as a doula in training
- Support and client care skills
- The most in depth and advanced doula training program
- Skills used by and necessary to be a successful doula working to support her community
- The most up to date doula education
- Strong ethical and cultural education
- International education and support
- A variety of supportive skills and honor for your other skills you bring to your education
- Leadership that listens and supports you on your path.
- One-on-one support and education
- Networking and community building skills
- Professional development
- Peer development and support
- We treat our students as autonomous professionals
- Students are encouraged to work in a variety of care settings
Certified Doula - Certification Requirements
(Click to expand)
- Working Computer, this really useful no matter your enrollment option.
- Working DVD Drive on computer, or ability to stream audio and media. We no longer send CDs but most childbirth videos are now on DVD or streaming.
- Skype Account for student/teacher interactions. This is a free internet telephoney. If you cannot use Skype we can find an alternative, but it is preferred.
- Audacity to record a lecture for teacher- this is a free download
- Microphone headset- Around $25-50.00
How does Birth Arts International compare to other organizations:
|Birth Arts International||CBI||Birthing From Within||Birth Works||DONA||ICEA|
|Workshop Required||No, but is offered in both options.||No||Yes, 3 days||Yes||$430||Yes|
|Number of births required||5||2||10||2||3||3|
|Time limit||Open||3 years||2 years||1 year||2 years||1 year|
|Assignments Required||Yes Extensive workbook business development and additional educational requirements.||Yes, 1 essay||Yes||Yes, Journal||Yes, 1 essay||Not Known|
|Full Distance learning option||Yes & ELearning||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Number of books required to read||10 We also give credit for prior readings.||3||2||4||5||8|
|Training Materials||Yes Over 500 pages of material.||Yes -Program text||Unknown||Yes guidebook||Unknown||Unknown|
|Observe Childbirth classes||Yes||Yes, 1 class||No||No||Yes, 1 series||Yes, 1 series|
|Discussion List for Students||Yes, we also have Facebook and Twitter||Yes||Yes||Unknown||Yes||Unknown|
|Continuing Education available||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Unknown|
|List your services on their website||Yes, students also receive listing resources||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Credit for prior education||Yes||Yes||Not known||Not known||No||No|
|Re-certification required||No, we do expect our students to continually expand their educational horizons.||Yes, every 3 years||Not Known||Yes, 1 birth per year||Yes, every 3 years||Yes, every 4 years|
|Student Support||Yes, Online group, email, telephone||Yes||Unknown||Yes, telephone||Yes||Yes|
Birth Arts International offers three ways to become a certified Birth Arts International Certified Doula (BAICD):
Access to eLearning after your in person class
No Shipping costs
Connection to community
eLearning Education Program
Instant access to materials
No Shipping Costs
All of your educational materials are online and you can work wherever you have internet
Interactive classroom and student connections online
Materials sent to you
Access to eLearning Classroom and other students
Work with other students
Unlike other certification organizations, Birth Arts International has no additional fees. Your enrollment fee is the only fee we will charge you. We do not have certification, membership or examination fees that are due to become certified or to keep your membership current for our childbirth doulas or any other practitioners. All enrollments are final.