Postpartum Doula Certification
What is a Postpartum Doula? Want to support new families?
Postpartum Doulas are a trained professional that provides physical, emotional, and spiritual, support and guidance to a new mother and the rest of the family. The Postpartum Doulas is a reference point, assistant and resource for the family in the postpartum period. In addition, the Postpartum Doula will also provide breastfeeding support, light household chores, nurture and advice where the family has questions about newborn care and support other members of the family.
Working with the parents the Postpartum Doula can assist in making the transition to parenthood and a successful breastfeeding and family relationships easier. The Postpartum Doula does not take over infant care, but supports and assists the family in learning about newborn, self and family care. They work to empower parents and family members in feeling secure in their care skills. We teach our Postpartum Doulas the most advanced support techniques and equip them with the best family skills. Becoming a Postpartum Doula online, or through distance learning means you can learn at your own pace, and work with local families.
A Postpartum Doula will not make or give medical advice, or perform any medical procedures. They do offer education and support and assists the family in finding answers and resources. Postpartum Doulas should work well with children, be patient, non-judgmental, communicate well, and knowledgeable about newborn care and breastfeeding.
Postpartum Doulas are helpful for all types of mothers and all types of birth experiences and can also be used by adoptive families or families of multiples. Become a Postpartum Doula and work in a career you will love.
- What is a postpartum doula?
- The Role of the Doula
- Home Visiting- Infant and Mother care
- Honoring Women & Teaching Self-Care
- Easing into Postpartum life
- Cultural Diversity
- Supporting Breastfeeding
- Newborn Basics
- Partners & Siblings
- Herbal Support
- Special Circumstances
- Building Your Practice
- Ethics in Practice
- Much more.. Read our student testimonials, this is just a sampling for you to see.
You will receive the Birth Arts Postpartum Doula training manual which contains a list of certification requirements, study guide, reading list, projects to be completed, up to date information, resources list and more. This workshop compliments the Labor and Birth Doula Training Workshop nicely or can be taken separately. Postpartum Doulas can choose to operate as only postpartum practitioners or in combination with a labor support doula practice.
Postpartum Doulas can choose to operate as only postpartum practitioners or in combination with a labor support doula practice. All enrollments are final.
The use of a postpartum doula for mothers can
The subsequent statements are some of the advantages gained by the use of postpartum doulas:
- Increased chance of breastfeeding successfully.
- Increased earlier between the infant and birthing person, and the whole family unit.
- Less chance of infant dehydration and hospitalization with health difficulties due to educated care.
- A reduced amount of maternal postpartum depression and shorter duration and easier for mother to cope with it if it occurs.
- Less maternal exhaustion, frustration, trepidation and anxiety during early weeks.
- Reduction in unnecessary calls to pediatricians.
- The Partner can get back to work sooner with less anxiety.
- The Partner can get back to work sooner with less anxiety.
- More of an understanding of newborn emotional and physical needs and behavior.
- More care choices, tools for dealing with relations and others.
Who uses Postpartum Doulas?
- First-time mothers and fathers
- Families with other children
- Families with multiples
- Mothers recovering from Cesarean surgery
- Partners who need to return to work soon after the birth
- Mothers planning to be home soon after the birth (because of a short hospital stay, birth center birth or home birth)
- And more! A postpartum doula can help any family who has just given birth or adopted.
What do Postpartum Doulas Do?
Postpartum doulas decide what their practice covers. Generally, they offer:
- Breastfeeding Support
- Parental Care and Support
- Cooking meals
- Caring for infant while mother bathes, eats, etc..
Some also offer
- Other childcare (not directly caring for newborn)
- Laundry and other household tasks
How much do postpartum doulas make?
- Generally, they make $20.00-65.00 an hour.
- This is directly linked to your practice and geography. We offer specific training and support to assist you in having a sustainable and professional income.
Course Requirement Outline
- Students will complete the 400+ pages of educational materials and workbook.
- Attend to four families in the postpartum period
- Complete community support activities
- Participate in business planning activities and working to have a sustainable business focused on the needs of their community.
- Fulfill reading list requirements
- Learn to support the needs of the postpartum mother with her specific postpartum needs.
- Support and supply the family with breastfeeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, etc.. resources.
Birth Arts Students who attend the weekend training workshop should know that there are additional assignments to be completed in the period afterwards before certification. There are no additional fees for certification or membership.
- Working Computer, this really useful no matter your enrollment option.
- Working DVD Drive on computer, or ability to stream audio and media. We no longer send CDs but most childbirth videos are now on DVD or streaming.
Access to eLearning after your in person class
No Shipping costs
Connection to community
eLearning Education Program
Instant access to materials
No Shipping Costs
All of your educational materials are online and you can work wherever you have internet
Interactive classroom and student connections online
Materials sent to you
Access to eLearning Classroom and other students
Work with other students
Unlike other certification organizations, Birth Arts International has no additional fees. Your enrollment fee is the only fee we will charge you. We do not have certification, membership or examination fees that are due to become certified or to keep your membership current. All enrollments are final and non-transferable.