What is anemia? Anemia means you have low iron in your blood or “low blood.” Iron helps your red blood cells carry oxygen to all parts of your body.
What are the signs and symptoms of anemia?
• Fatigue, Drowsiness, Malaise
• Dizziness, Wellness
• Sore Tongue
• Skin Pallor
• Pale mucus membranes
• Pale fingernail beds
• Loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting
Here are some tips for treating anemia:
• Take iron rich foods with Vitamin C. This helps with your body’s ability to absorb iron.
• Iron Supplementation may be suggested. Use an organic source, or herbal source if possible.
• Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water or juice daily.
• Eat Iron rich foods
• Drink Iron rich herbal infusions or use iron rich tinctures.
Eating foods that are high in iron is very important. Foods that help increase your iron level are:
• black molasses
• nuts, like almonds and cashews and nut butters
• dried fruits, like prunes, apricots, figs, raisins, peaches, and dates
• egg yolks
• sweet potatoes
• dark green or yellow vegetables, like collard greens, kale, spinach, turnips, and mustard greens
Eating a varied and balanced diet with lots of leafy greens, fresh produce and whole grains will help to keep you and your baby healthy.
Some Iron Rich Herbs Are:
Yellow Dock- Rumex crispus
Nettles- Urtica dioica
Red Raspberry Leaf -Rubus idaeus
Some helpful Homeopathic remedies may be
©Demetria Clark 2005 Birth Arts International